THE FIRST CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL IN SHELBY COUNTY, was organized in
1908, and composed of the elementary schools of Buntyn, Fleece
Station, and Avlon. It was named for the Superintendent of County
Schools, Miss Elizabeth Messick, now Mrs. Elizabeth Messick Houck.
The First Principal was Miss Daisy Porter, who served for one year.
She was followed by Miss Rubie Batte, who gave fourteen Years to
building Messick into the fine school it is today. She left to
become County Supervisor. Her place was filled by Miss Nina C.
Rickman, who served one year.
In 1923, Mr. Ernest C. Ball , now Superintendent of Memphis City
Schools, was made principal and stayed with us until 1928. Under Him
Messick grew in importance, being accredited by the Southern
Association of College and Secondary Schools, and the State
Department of Education. When Mr. Ball left, in mid-term of 1928,
Mr. Elliott, finished the school year. He was followed by Miss
Fletcher, who held office for one year.
In 1930, concurrent with Messick's change of status from county
school to city high school, Mr. T. H. Grinter, coming from Lennox,
took over, and has held the chief's post here for seventeen years,
longer than any other principal. He is assisted by Miss Anne Hunt,
one of Messick's mentors since 1918, having served under six
principals. Chiefly due to these two, Messick has become what it is
today. And if you don't think Messick is a great school, just ask
anyone who goes there.
From the 1948 Messick Yearbook