originally began extensive research to find printed evidence and/or
information about Hope Night School that would lead to a "Tech
connection". We verified in archived
newspaper articles that the Hope Night School began in 1878 and became part
of the City School District in 1892. An 1894 Memphis Directory
lists the Hope Night School on Adams, corner of Charleston, with the
description "A free school for the business education of boys".
In 1898, the school was listed at the corner of Main and Poplar. Girls were admitted to the Hope Night School in 1910.
have also been articles and references that the Hope Night School
continued to exist up to 1928, long after the Vocational High
School opened in 1911 at "the castle" on Poplar and we now
know that Hope Night School classes were conducted IN
the Vocational High School building concurrently with the night
classes OF Vocational High. In
addition, it appears that by the early 1900's Hope Night School had mainly become a school where
immigrants learned English and enough history to pass citizenship
But we did not find any evidence that the two schools ever merged or
that there was ever a discussion about the possibility of a merger.
Hope Night School closed in 1928 simply because "it was no longer
needed" since Tech's own well-attended night classes were doing the same
strongest evidence that Hope Night School was not a forerunner of
Tech goes back to 1911 when the new Central High School opened.
At the same time that Central was created, the Board of Education created
Memphis Vocational School, with its own night school
program. Since Hope NS was already part of the school system,
why wouldn't they simply have renamed it Hope Vocational
School instead of creating a separate school? Instead, Hope
Night School continued to run its own, separate course along side
"Tech", until 1928. (See verification articles
Various articles about Hope Night
School are reproduced below. Two of the later articles verify that
Hope Night School AND Crockett Technical existed